Saturday, 31 August 2013

More Detailing Products and Wheel Alignment

Today I went down to the shop and picked up some more products for detailing the car. The guys at Car Care Products were very helpful and gave excellent advice.
Here's what I picked up.

  1. Duragloss Clear Coat Polish (with bonding agent)
  2. Mint Detailing Brush Kit
  3. 303 Products Aerospace Protectant
  4. Autobrite MagiFoam
  5. Isopropanol Alcohol
  6. Mint All Purpose Cleaner
  7. Mint Leather Brush
  8. Mint Microfibre Super Plush Cloth
  9. Pad Conditioning Brush

I then went and had a wheel alignment because of the installation of the tie rod end last week. To my surprise, these guys had the correct specs in their database because it had German specific section. I was very impressed.

I still need more parts for a perfect alignment like new Lower Control Arm bushings, but I'll replace them with Polyurethane ones.

Enough spending money for new. Let's get detailing!! The Concours d'Elegance is a short 6 weeks away!

Tuesday, 27 August 2013

Discovery: Bad Front Wheel Bearings

While the car was on the hoist on Saturday, I found that both front wheel bearings are starting to make a noise. Here's a quick video of the noise I discovered. You'll notice that the left side is considerably more concerning than the right.








Mechanical Maintenance Weekend

On Saturday I visited a mechanic recommended to me by a happy customer so I can get George's leaky transmission checked out. It was a long drive since his workshop is located near the airport but if he's as good as they say, it'll be worth the trip.
Well, I arrived at Euro Star and was ushered into the workshop where they lifted the car and immediately inspected the underbody. I asked them if they could tell me where the leak was originating and my suspicions were confirmed once the oil pan was pulled off. It appeared that the rubber gasket seal had started to perish and was allowing oil to slowly leak out of the side. I asked if the filter could be changed while they had the pan off and that was also replaced.

Doctor Hussain removing the transmission oil pan from George's auto 'box.

Old filter was removed.

New filter installed.

Happy that the issue was sorted, they checked the rest of the front end and told me what I already knew. I needed new tie rod ends and an idler arm repair kit. It was also pointed out that the drag link had worn bushes and should be replaced.
"Let's do it all" I said and the work began. Lucky for me, they had all the parts available after hunting for them in the back of the parts shop.

Here's the old tie rod end that had seen better days. I asked if he'd change the other side, but it looked like it was replaced not too long ago, so it was left alone.

New tie rod end for a W201 shared a part with the W126.

Old and new parts.

New part installed.

 Next up was the idler arm bushing. This one took some muscle to get out of the bracket, but the Good Doctor found a way.

New bushing kit waiting to be installed.

After some assertive persuasion (big hammer) the old came out making space for the new.

Lastly, the drag link was replaced due to a worn bush in the left side.

That wrapped up the critical items that needed immediate addressing. Next, I need a wheel alignment since we installed a new tie rod end and in the next few months, a couple of front wheel bearings as these ones are both starting to make some noises.

Wednesday, 21 August 2013

New Claybar - Bilt Hamber Auto-Clay

In preparation for the Mercedes-Benz Concourse event, a couple more pieces arrived in the mail to help get George ready for the show.

This time, I have bought a clay bar that will assist in decontaminating the paint work after washing. As with the Autoglym leather products I bought earlier, this one is also British.

I have used Bilt Hamber auto-clay before, but that was the medium grade and used on a heavily contaminated car that was parked outside. This one, for George, is the fine clay. Since George is always kept indoors and washed regularly, I didn't see the need for a harsher than required product. If it's insufficient, I still have half of the medium compound remaining. That won't be till we're closer to the event date in October.


Wednesday, 14 August 2013

New Detailing Products by Autoglym

Since George joined our family, I've never cleaned the leather because I've always been undecided on which products to use.
I finally decided on Autoglym Leather Cleaner to lift and remove containments and Autoglym Leather Care Balm to rejuvenate and protect it.
This, of course, is all in preparation for the Mercedes-Benz Concours D'Elegance in October. There should be a few more products to come in soon.



Friday, 9 August 2013

Rattling Exhaust

It's been a while since I found that one of the exhaust tips were loose and was rattling all the time. I never had the time to take George to the shop and fix it up but I found myself driving past the exhaust shop and thought I'd pop in for a quick fix.


A few tack welds on each tip and we were driving out in less than 3 minutes. No more constant rattle. Cool.

Monday, 5 August 2013

Car of the Month: August 2013

I submitted a photo of George for the monthly Car of the Month vote on one of the 190E forums. He was voted in for August as the best entrant!
Here's the link to the vote and the photo I submitted:

190 of the month August 2013 Vote

Photo by Daniel @ OFIM